Refurbishment & restoration
Mr P Isaacs Esq & Dr J Hart
North Bovey, Devon
Scarratt & Martyn
This fascinating building formed part of a series of Grade II listed buildings on Dartmoor. Previously, the medieval hall had been owned and preserved by the Landmark Trust but was not in a habitable state when purchased by the new owners.
The project required us to restore the kitchen and dining area to the medieval hall, plus adding a new bathroom and guest bedroom above.
Externally, the roof needed restoring, including a complete rebuild of the chimney structure. As well as incorporating underfloor heating, the interior of the main house was in need of complete redecoration throughout.
Traditional building methods were used throughout the restoration which included:
- Complete internal refurbishments using traditional methods and materials such as lime floor screeds, lime based plasters, preservation of original roof structure and timbers
- New bespoke kitchen, use of original floor materials throughout the ground floor and an oak spiral staircase
- 5 bedrooms, 3 bathrooms, cloakroom
- Restoration of the existing roof and rebuild of the chimney structure with lead tray
- Repointing of the exterior with lime as well as building of new retaining granite walls
- Restoration of existing doors and windows with additional bespoke joinery by local suppliers
- Incorporating underfloor heating within a limecrete screed
- Complete redecoration and refurbishment of the main house and external works such as dry stone walls, extensive drainage works